Craft has been an ongoing, incredibly important support mechanism for me over the last ten years of early motherhood and life in general. It has supported me emotionally and physically, giving me small windows of joy, quiet, and space, while the world went on around me, doing what it does. It’s given me mental (good) health. And I know I’ve said it before but I truly believe it’s saved me. So the announcement of our first scholarship today is very personal and important to me. I want to give someone who couldn’t afford to come, the opportunity to come to the retreat.
Scholarships were always something I wanted to offer as part of The Craft Sessions. I grew up in a family that had ongoing financial stress, and I remember it well. We were a family that loved to make, and crafting was a big part of my childhood. Speaking as adult Felicia, looking back I would have loved to see my mum have the opportunity to come to something like the retreat. She needed a break, and she loved her craft.
The Craft Sessions Retreat Scholarship
What is the Scholarship?
A full place at The Craft Sessions retreat + $500 stipend.
What is the $500 for?
Because we wanted to really make it possible for someone to have a break. So the $500 is for you to spend however you see fit. In order to come you might need to pay for travel, babysitting, you might miss a shift at work, or you might need materials. Whatever you need – it’s totally up to you.
Who is it for?
Someone who is struggling financially and probably will be for the foreseeable future. Someone who loves making, and maybe needs some joy.
Your name won’t be announced. The only person who will know you are the recipient are the panel and me.
And one more thing - we very kindly want to ask that you don't apply if you can afford to come.
- Applications open on April 16th 2pm and are open for one week. They close at midnight on Saturday April 23rd. You will have a week to get your application in.
- You will need to tell us a little bit about your circumstances and why you would love to come. There will be an online form to fill in.
- You can nominate someone for the Scholarship if you would like to, as long as you know they would be able to come and you have their agreement.
- The chosen applicant will be picked by a small external panel.
- You would be informed of your success (or not) a week after the retreat has gone on sale to the general public.
Just to be super clear - we will not be announcing a scholarship recipient as we want to keep it totally anonymous for you in order to protect your privacy. That said if you want to tell people then you are totally welcome to!
So just to reconfirm all the dates for this year's retreat!
- Our 2016 workshop list will be posted on Friday April 15th!
- Applications for the scholarship open on Saturday April 16th at 2pm.
- Applications for the scholarship close on Saturday April 23rd at midnight.
- Registration opens on Sunday April 24th at 5pm.
We are thrilled to be able to finally do this, and give someone the opportunity to come and share in the joy that is The Craft Sessions retreat.