In this class you will sew your own fully lined denim tote bag with internal zippered pocket and key clip, while gaining some confidence working with leather.
Teacher: Anna Ng
Workshop Duration: Half Day
Description: A denim tote bag with leather handles will be a well-used and loved addition to your bag collection. To give the bag some structure, choose both a medium-weight denim and lining material. It’s always great to choose a lining that matches your colour preferences and/or personality!
The lined tote bag includes a zippered pocket, key clip and leather handles. Learn how to sneakily attached the lining to the base of the bag, how to insert a zip, and gain some experience with working with leather.
The handles will be pre-cut and supplied, but you’ll be shown how they are made. During the class you will have hands-on experience of punching the holes in the straps and attaching them to the tote with double capped rivets (hammers supplied!). Practice leather and rivets will be available for participants to hone their skills.
Materials: Please Bring;
- 60cm Medium-weight denim
- 50cm Medium-weight lining material (cotton/linen blends work well)
- 35cm Contrast medium-weight material for pocket and key fob
- All purpose polyester thread to match your fabrics
- 18cm (7”) Metal trouser zip (to match your denim or pocket fabric)
- Denim needle
- Sewing machine
- Your sewing kit including fabric scissors, pins, tailors chalk, measuring tape, quick unpick, hand and sewing needle
There will be a materials fee of $10 for this class which includes;
- a copy of the Tote bag pattern
- 2 x Leather handles (2cm x 75cm)
- 4 x Leather handle support pieces (2cm x 4cm)
- 10 x Double capped rivets (two for practicing & eight for the bag!)
- 1 x Alloy swivel clip
- Leather scraps (for practicing)
Takeaway: At the end of the class you will have made your very own lined denim tote bag with leather handles.
Level: Beginner/Advanced Beginner/Intermediate