Spend Saturday morning with Helen learning how to sew one of our favourite patterns - The Lou Box Top - a basic short-sleeved top in a woven fabric. If you can sew a straight seam you can sew this top.
Teacher: Helen Duckham
Workshop Duration: Half Day
Description: The Lou Box top is a versatile kimono-sleeved tee by Sew DIY patterns and the relaxed design means that minimal fitting is required.
You will learn how to lay out and cut your pattern from your chosen fabric, make and attach neck bindings, make a button loop and sew a lovely hem finish. This is a great starter pattern for those of you wanting to make the leap to garment sewing!
This class will show you how to make the design in a woven fabric such as cotton voile, chambray or light linen, with a choice of either the scoop neck or crew-neck version with button closure.
Materials to bring:
- fabric for your top, pre-washed (more information on choosing fabric below).
- 1 shank button, approximately 3/8 inch (9.5cm) wide
- a copy of the Lou Box top pattern which can be found here on Sew DIY’s website
- all purpose polyester thread to match your fabric
- sewing machine
- your sewing kit including fabric scissors, embroidery scissors or snips (small sharp scissors), pins, tailors chalk, machine sewing needle suitable for woven fabric, hand sewing needle, seam ripper and measuring tape.
More on fabric: Recommended fabrics are light, woven fabrics with some drape such as cotton voile, light linen or chambray. If you chose a heavier fabric such as quilting cotton or heavier linen will the top will be more ‘boxy’. It’s best to avoid slippery fabrics like silk or silky-polyester unless you are comfortable sewing with them.
You will need 1m of 150cm wide fabric for sizes between 31-42cm bust and 1.5m for 44-51cm. If your fabric is narrower than 150cm you will need 1.5m for all sizes.
Takeaway: At the end of the session you will have a fabulous new top to wear!
Level: Adventurous Beginner
Prerequisites: This class is aimed at adventurous beginners who want to learn how to sew a basic short-sleeved top in a woven fabric. You need to be familiar with using a sewing machine.