Garment Sewing - Knit Leggings
Does the thought of sewing knits on your sewing machine send you into a mild or severe panic? In this class you’ll overcome any of your knits fears while sewing a custom-fit pair of leggings for yourself.
Teacher: Anna Ng
Workshop Duration: Half Day
Description: We ran this class two years ago and were floored by how quickly it sold out!! Obviously leggings are a great wardrobe staple and this workshop is the perfect introduction to sewing knits on a domestic sewing machine.
Anna will be sharing all she knows about sewing with and finishing knits. She will also help you to create a pair of leggings that fit your body.
In this hands on class you will learn how to:
Locate the grain on knit fabric, how to cut out knit fabric, sew knits on a domestic sewing machine. You will also learn how to finish your knits - you will add elastic to the waist and top-stitch in place with a twin needle. Finally you will hem your leggings (two different methods will be demonstrated).
There is a materials fee of $10 which is for a paper copy of Megan Nielsen's Virginnia leggings pattern. After extensive testing this pattern was the best Anna found and Megan is kindly offering it to us at a discounted price!
- 1.3m cotton/lycra. You can purchase the perfect black cotton Lycra that is not see-through from Anna for $22.
- A length of 1 inch (25mm) elastic that matches your waist measurement
- All purpose polyester thread to match your fabric
- Jersey (ball point) needle
- Stretch twin needle
- Sewing machine
- An empty bobbin (for woolly nylon thread)
- Sewing kit including fabric scissors, pins, tailors chalk, measuring tape and a quick unpick
Woolly nylon thread will be supplied by the teacher at no charge.
Takeaway: At the end of the class you will have a pair of custom-fit leggings.
Level: This class is aimed at beginners. Familiarity with a sewing machine - threading a machine, winding a bobbin, replacing a bobbin and changing a sewing needle.