Sewing - Mastering Knit Sewing
Spend the day with Nita-Jane learning how to sew with knit and stretch fabric including fool proof neck bands, seaming and finishes.
Teacher: Nita-Jane McMahon
Workshop Duration: Full day
Description: This class will tackle stretch sewing methods from cutting to final finish with extra focus on getting neck bands fitted and finished. Choose from the two tee-shirt styles from Pattern Fantastique.
Materials to bring:
- a copy of your preferred t-shirt from Pattern - Fantastique: The aeolian tee or the glacial tee
- fabric: merino or cotton basic stretch in a flat knit. You can opt to bring a rib contrast neck band. No poly, nylon, silk, ponti or tricky to handle fabrics or high lycra fabrics. - sewing machine in good working order
- scissors and pins
- matching thread
- sewing needles ball point
- twin sewing needles (only for machines that have extra spool holders)
- vilene stay tape
- wooly nylon thread in similar colour (doesn't need to match perfectly)
- alternatively you can purchase a Tee Shirt Starter Kit here which includes vilene stay tape, stretch nylon thread, 5 ball point needles and 2 stretch twin needles for pick up at the retreat.
Takeaway: heaps and heaps of skills, tricks and knowledge and a completed knit tee.
Level: Advanced Beginner
Prerequisites: Basic understanding of how to use your sewing machine and some garment sewing experience.